Friday, May 2, 2014

Some losses are irrecoverable !!






























As I write this small note, I am experiencing utmost discomfort and deep pain . Like many others I too have a Lost a dear friend whom no one could afford to loose. I was in the process of searching some old images and each time I go through them and see his face with his trademark smile affixed on it ,I am finding it hard to control  emotions and my eyes are getting filled with tears.

I wouldn’t have been his closest friend, but would have been some where closer I am sure. Neither we were child hood friends, classmates or colleagues. Working in 2 different companies, competing with each other, we were perfect candidates for professional enmity.

Our friendship dates back to around 9 years , perhaps during our most youthful days in the tourism industry. Though we have been around in same city and lived nearby, we never met or interacted but somehow knew about the mutual existence. Ironically it was for a funeral that we formally met. Few of us were going on a car to the funeral place and I could remember someone telling that Madhu also is joining us. Already cramped for space in the car it didn’t please me much and to add to my fury he kept us waiting for a few minutes at the highway and came running. I must admit that was the only occasion I have had any bad thought about him for that was the beginning of a wonderful friendship for a few years to follow.

We started meeting up for professional get together and soon started getting along well. Perhaps that was the time when being COOL was getting familiar and I could vouch that there was no better candidate for being Cool other than this person who I have hardly seen losing the temper or arguing with someone. A pleasing smile a great listener and an understanding person is what he was in nutshell. Never saw him complain about anything ( unless professional matters) .

Hailing from a orthodox Brahmin family closely associated with the Padmanbhaswamy temple, Madhu was an exception in terms of religious formalities. He did eat Non vegetarian food, quite fond of fish and never followed the religious restrictions strictly. Tend to get scared at times but he was a real gem to anyone who knew.

Forming of APT brought us more closer as he was the main source of support for me in organising various events and worked tirelessly with the team be it cricket matches, Fam tours and hotel visits. His contributions were invaluable and has helped to grow APT. At times the organising got limited solely to both of us without getting much support but he was there always with his characteristic smile, never compromising on the assigned work and with whole hearted dedication.  There were many sleepless nights during events but he was so determined, working for the success sacrificing his meals and sleep, which made him more  dearer to me. Even on professional grounds, despite being in 2 competing firms, when I was stranded he was there to offer a helping hand within his limits.

When it was time to unwind we did in the best way and many light moments come into my mind.
Weekend cricket sessions, when my phone calls woke him up early mornings, picking him from his home, travelling to ground on bike, sweating it out and then recharging at the local tea shop with glass of tea and vada. Madhu was a pretty decent player elegant shots through offside mostly copy book and though age has taken his pace away he could still bowl with good control. A slow mover on the field I recall. He was liked by everyone !!!

Many occasions during matches or events when I am down and out looking out for water, I have seen him emerging with a bottle in his hand with his smile very much on his face.  During a match when I tore a ligament and was down on one leg, limping, it was none one than him who carried me to the hospital and was with me till everything was settled down.
When he was leaving abroad for better career prospects we had arranged a farewell for him and I was so upset from within for losing one of my best pals. As usual the interactions came down but we were still in touch through phone calls emails and had a professional relation too. The last communication was a week or so back.
I am sure there are many other friends out here, who were even more closer with him and could share more than what I could.
It’s the first time I am writing such a long note , and it might look over stretched to many.  I haven’t shared these observations with anyone but I feel I am doing the right thing as I don’t want to keep my feelings to him unheard and it’s a humble attempt to show what he really was and what he meant to me. I could never tell this so far, neither I could ever, for he has moved forward and waiting at a far off place for us to join, may be in some time.

It’s not easy to forget you my friend, each time I pass through the Brahmin streets , I may still  look at the narrow passage through which you used to come out when I come to pick you up on my bike. I will look around for you my friend ,when I stand at a party with a glass in one hand, for you to emerge with a plateful of cocktail snacks predominantly fish. When I drive towards my home, I would look for you at your favourite juice shop with the large glass of lime juice.

You will always be remembered Madhu by all of us for you were such a sweet , simple,caring and jovial person who we can never be.

I was searching my folders for some photographs and could manage this short slide in   which would keep your memories afresh in our minds. http://youtu.be/qYkv5JhVGoo

No comments: